The two Ferrari’s locked out the front row in qualifying with Niki Lauda on pole from Regazzoni.
Lauda took a perfect start and led from Hunt who had passed a slow starting Regazzoni (picture).
The Swiss soon took the place back and Hunt dropped to sixth position behind Laffite in the Ligier and the two six-wheeled Tyrrell P34s of Depailler and Scheckter.
Hunt and Depailler had to retire and the Ferrari’s scored a dominant 1-2.
- Niki Lauda, Ferrari 312T2.
- Clay Regazzoni, Ferrari 312T2 +3.46s
- Jacques Laffite, Ligier-Matra JS5 +35.38s
- Jody Scheckter, Tyrrell-Ford P34 +1.31.00
- Alan Jones, Surtees-Ford, + 1 lap.
- Jochen Mass, McLaren-Ford, +1 lap.